Kidlee Logo

6 p.m. curfew and childcare: what you need to know!

by | Jan 15, 2021 | Special Edition, Information

In the evening of Thursday, January 14, the government announced the advancement of the curfew to 18:00. And this, by generalizing it on all the metropolitan territory from Saturday, January 16. A measure taken because of the appearance and spread, admittedly slight but worrying, of the British variant of covid-19. What are the new measures in force and especially what changes for childcare? Kidlee shares with you the essentials to know in this article! 

What changes with this 6:00 p.m. curfew for parents, children and babysitters? 

Childcare, education and training, the measures announced by the government regarding this 6:00 p.m. curfew are as follows:

"The advancement of the curfew does not call into question the possibility for structures that host childcare, school, extracurricular or vocational training activities to continue to welcome their usual public beyond 6 p.m.. Nor this public to return home, including by public transport with a travel certificate or proof of school travel...On the other hand, extracurricular activities, outdoor or indoor, must end at 6 p.m."

- Government

Will it be possible to provide in-home childcare after the 6:00 PM curfew? 

Yes, childcare and babysitting at home will still be possible beyond the 6pm curfew. Childcare is indeed part of the authorized reasons for travel. There is therefore no change in the activity of this sector. Babysitters, childminders and nannies will therefore be able to continue to look after children in their own home or in the family's home after 6pm. Therefore, for any travel involving babysitting and childcare, you only need to fill out the derogatory travel certificate in effect.   

Schools and childcare facilities remain open  

Despite the advancement of the curfew to 6:00 pm, schools, vocational training centers and all educational institutions can continue to welcome their public after 6:00 pm. Pupils, teachers and students will be able to reach their homes after 6pm. Including by public transport. To do so, it is however mandatory to have a derogatory travel certificate. This certificate must be carefully filled in for professional activity, for teaching and training for students, or for childcare for parents.

Parents and babysitters can therefore continue to pick up children from schools, crèches, leisure centers and all other childcare facilities.

What about extracurricular activities? 

Extracurricular activities, including art or music and sports activities, will have to stop at 6:00 pm. For indoor sports activities, Jean Castex announced that they are totally "suspended". 

In other words, this advanced curfew implies the cessation of all leisure activities, outdoor or not, at 6 pm. Except for indoor team sports, which are however suspended. 

What is the justification for this 6:00 p.m. curfew? 


As the Prime Minister reminded us, the curfew certificate remains in effect. And this, in order to be able to pick up the children after the curfew. Whether it is from school, nursery, recreation center, home of the nanny or the childminder.

For this, you will need a travel certificate . On the latter, box 3 must be checked:

Travel for compelling family reasons, for assistance to vulnerable or precarious persons or for childcare.

For schools and after-school institutions, you will also need a proof of school travel. To be filled out only once, but must be stamped by the institution. 

Babysitter :

You must also have a valid travel certificate. To pick up children from school To go to the family home. And to return home after curfew. 

To pick up children from school after 6:00 p.m., you must have a travel certificate . With these checkboxes : 

Box 1: ''Travel between home and place of work or place of education and training, business trips that cannot be postponed.''

Box 3: Travel for compelling family reasons, for assistance to vulnerable or precarious persons or for childcare.

But also a proof of school travel, to be filled out only once, but must be stamped by the institution. 

If you are a self-employed contractor:

it is best to bring along your auto-entrepreneur declaration issued by INSEE. Click here to download your declarationn

To download the printable version of the certificates click HERE